…from Nathan
Hi world
First post, nearly @ the halfway point so I guess I should put something on here for those who I told to look @ this site.
It’s been a phenomenal experience so far. I’ve enjoyed every minute. It’s just like I remember, and completely different. Most importantly, the people are the same, all still beautiful. I cherish every conversation and interaction I have with a Ghanain.
Work is great, nothing quite like pouring a few cubic yards of concrete four days a week. I enjoy working on a building that I know will still be around after I’m gone.
Definitely missing grease, oil, undercoating, and the smell of premium (most cars here burn an odourific combination of diesel and oil, and all the gas stations still sell kerosene so I’m sure some cars still burn that too.). However, I have had the opportunity to poke my head under the odd hood or rocker panel. I diagnosed a VERY squeaky balljoint on an Opel Vectra 1.6 S owned by Daniel Dzunu, a man staying with us. It goes into the shop tomorrow.
Also, on our way back from ‘touristing’ in Cape Coast, we were innocently ‘cruising’ in our ‘Benz’ (see the pics on the NYFC website) and it decided not to shift out of third gear. I will be the first to admit that this was not my first opportunity, but actually the first time I’ve prayed for a vehicle. I will also be the first to tell you that no one got dirty before we were on our way again, ‘…Amen.’ ‘Hey, it works!’ And it’s taken us around without a hitch since.
Church is a great experience too, one word. LOUD, very, very loud. There’s nothing quite like one or two male and female thick Ghanain accents and two or three tribal languages all being hurtled into your eardrums at several hundred decibels per second.
Like I said, LOUD, very, very loud.
Beginning to get groggy.
Thinking of home.
Thinking of Honda.
Missing it all but still loving every minute here, because when it’s time to go I will have not been here enough.
Later
Stogy III
PS Is the garage down yet? You know who you are…

1 Comments:
Hey Nathan!
I figured since your on the other side of the world now would be a good time to catch up....lol. Okay so I am behind on our friendship but I must say that I am thrilled to hear that you are having such a good time and that you are using your talents and abilities.
Keep up the good work!
Carla
Post a Comment
<< Home