Nadia Notes...
Hello All!
It is Nadia again, and I’m sorry I haven’t written more.... I seem to have so much to say I don’t have the time to write it all down :) There has been so much going on I hardly know where to begin...
We’ll start with this... I love Africa, and Andy, I’m afraid I may not be coming home. If I do come, it will have to be drugged and knocked out because I don’t think I’ll come willingly. This place is so full of beauty and wonder I can hardly take it all in in just one short month.
I walked down into the village with Diane and Penny yesterday, and was so struck by the beauty of the people. They all carry a certain air of elegance which we fail to possess in North America. The children who greet us all the way through the village are just captivating, and I want to take them home with me. Their eyes grab at my heart as I pass them all by; in them you find a strange mixture of joy, hardship, wonder, daring and innocence all at once. They are as fascinated by us as we are by them and they smile and jump up and down and run after us as we wander by. I can’t help smiling as I go simply because it makes me feel so full.
After walking through the village, working on the worksite is my absolute favorite. Yestersay we mixed and poured... By the headpan load (... So, one shovelful at a time) - an 18 bag load of concrete. It was a long day, but fun. For some reason, when we are working so hard and I can feel my muscles burning with every pan of concrete that I pass on, I have fun. It is so exciting to know that you are really doing something. It’s not that the other things that we do are not important and significant, because they are; but, this kind of work is just so fulfilling, and different than anything we do at home. It feels so much more real.
I think that healthwise, everyone seems to be doing a lot better. We’re not all quite 100% yet, but we are getting there. Thanl you all for your continued prayer, we couldn’t do it without you. I myself am doing very well, I thank God and daily quiet time for that. We decided a little while back that we weren’t getting enough time to just be alone, so after lunch every day we have a half hour of proclaimed quiet where we don’t talk to anyone but ourselves and God. I think it is my saving grace most days, and I am thankful for it. It seems to keep me sane. I spend my time on the roof of the hostel, overlooking the ocean and the village, in the sun and the breeze. It is so good.
Other good news too. We have a trombone that I can play here! Yay! Admittedly it is not quite so beautiful as my Ella (my trombone at home), but it plays... Sort of. The slide only sticks most of the way down, and when we got it, it was lubricated with motor oil. I neglected to bring my slide oil with me, so now instead of using slide oil, or even motor oil - I am using ‘zinc oxide creme’... Also known as Penatin Creme... Or... Baby bum creme. It works well ; )
Ooh, great fun. Last week, as you may have already hear, we got to go spend an hour at the drumming school in the village - Sooooo much fun. I was the only female in the group of people that went, so our teacher, Akka, took a shine to me. When he came over to work with me or show me something, he would wrap his arms right around me so that his cheeck was RIGHT next to mine, and play on my drum and talk to me about what I was to do next... I can’t say I was complaining... He was rather good looking ; )
Michelle, I think that you would be thrilled with the kitchen staff. They seem to love to turn on the radio and sing along with EVERY song it plays... Which covers everything from Steely Dan to Celine Dion to the Beach Boys to Stevie Wonder to really really bad country on repeat to “We Wanna See Jesus Lifted High”. They have about the same amount of talent as the Logan brothers do.... Maybe even more. (I think I’ll leave that there.) So, I take it you like Patrick?? I’m glad. He is certainly worth it. I wish you were here, I think after University I’ll come back and bring you with me. Say hi to your parents for me.
Tyler... Are you sure that’s all you want? I can’t bring you back a whole menagerie in technicolor while I’m at it? I promise I won’t forget the bow :)
Rockin’ Robin, Dearest, I can’t believe I never told you I was coming to Africa!... Sorry! Is there anything I can bring back for you, Cute Face?
Shannon... I’ll try to post a picture of my Ghanaian man soon. I miss you! Have tou heard anything from my roommate yet?
Rachel, I wish you were here! Give yourself, your family, and Paul big hugs for me. You are the first person I want to see when I get home.
Andy, as much as I love you and your red hair... I don’t think that a Ghanaian would ever look good in red hair, despite what I thought before. And, I miss you too.
Aunt Tracy, I miss you so much, and we all really enjoy your comments... I hope you all know that we read your comments out loud together at the dinner table. It’s loads of fun... Keep them coming :)
Sarah, I am looking after Josh as I promised, and he’s doing awesome. I’m working hard to help fight off all of the beautiful Ghanaian women who are so attracted to him for you, and I’ll at least send him home safe if I don’t come myself :)
I think that is all for the present. So I must be off. It’s luch time. I miss you all and I’ll see you in a few weeks. Much love, and thanks again for the prayers.
~Nadia~

7 Comments:
Daryl and Hope, this Nadia girl needs to be a writer. Any more descriptions of Africa like that, and I'll have to join you for your next trip... :)
HEY LOVELY DOLLFACE!!! I miss you to PIECES!! Did you get my first comment about your room mate? I made it on the July 4th blog, but if not!! her name is Sarah Walsh (Chad's from out East, maybe there's a relation? we asked him and he's looking into it. That would be WEIRD) and she is from Moncton N.B. (which is a pretty town, I've been there), and from her e-mail she seems like a nice girl. She has a boyfriend and two best friends going to St.FX too, and she seemed to be a bit concerned about you're snoring, but I e-mailed her back and told her as far as I knew, you didn't snore (but then again I'm a deep sleeper, so maybe I just didn't hear you in Halifax). I told her you were in Africa (yes, that Africa) and that you'd e-mail her as soon as you got back on the 8th.. I think you get back on the 7th so that way you'll be able to muster enough strength to e-mail her.. maybe. She went to Ecuador during her grade 12 year on exchange, so she had to re-do grade 12, making her 19 by the time the school year starts (I'm re-reading her e-mail as I write this so that you'll have an idea before you actually get to read this). Actually, I'll just copy and paste the sentence that sums up why you will be happy next year:
"I dont really party much at all, but Im pretty open minded,i hate formality,
and i think im pretty easy to get along with. I HHAATTEE snorning haha so if
you do i'll try not to smother you in your sleep (lol j/k)."
I think you'll get along great :), as long as my e-mail that I sent her didn't frighten her off. I was myself, you see, and that is why I'm worried. When you e-mail her you can apoligize for me, as she hasn't written back so I'm not sure about her reaction. I did give her the link to this blog though, so who knows she could be checking it out! And reading this ridiculously long comment!
I need to take Michelle's advice and not drink water when I read your blogs. The crack about the Logans made me have a similar reaction to hers when she read your last one.
I LOVE YOU AND MISS YOU AND I'M GLAD YOU'RE GETTING TO DO SO MUCH OF YOUR FAVOURITE THING (mixing concrete) AND THAT YOU HAVE A TROMBONE AND ALL THE OTHER WONDERFUL THINGS YOU ARE DOING!!! I wish I could be there with you :)
hugs and kisses,
Shannon
Hey Nad,
I'll hug everyone for you. Cept Paul. I'm going to punch him and say it's from you so I can get away with it. Bah, I win. lol.
I've missed you ever so much, there's so many goodtimes I wish you were heeeere for. Amber Hart and I are taking Young Drivers together and it's pretty funtimes. We make our instructor laugh a lot, he looks liek a thin doctor phil. My incar instructor's name is Gordon Hord. *Scrunches up nose* Too bad people have to have such wienerish names.
Sad to say, I haven't been able to mix concrete and other such fun stuff here, I've been babysitting my sister for the past few days cuz my family is saving up "Dosie Bucks" for uni by working CONSTANTLY!! Oh, and I don't think you followed Canada's Next Top Model, but the worst girl one. BE OUTRAGED ON BEHALF OF YOUR COUNTRY! LOL! Gah!
Well, I've been online for far too long again. Don't get in any trouble over there, ordering pizzas from Trenton or anything. You'll be paying off that bill til you're 50!!
Have good/chadtimes!!
~Hugznjunk
Little
Wow. Well said, Nadia.
Alicia and I just got back from our 8 week European adventure on the 17th. Now I wish we were in Africa. Sigh.
We haven't been able to check the blog too often because we've been travelling around ourselves, but it's good to hear that everyone is relatively healthy and finding their niches. Go team!
You're all in our prayers.
Richard.
Oh, my Nadia. How I miss you. Could I possibly describe it? No, I don't believe I could. It's so good to hear from you and even better to hear that you're all doing so very well. We're all praying for you constantly up here and rest assured that you're still always on our minds.
Just to keep you up to date, I've had a job interview (to save money for University... ick) at Wal-Mart, so here's hoping and praying. Also, Noah just had surgery on his ear, so please pray for a quick recovery. He's doing really well.
I can't wait for your return and we'll have some great time in August before we all leave for University. I can't wait :)
Loves and kisses,
Miche
Hello Nadia!
Shannon gave me the link to your blog! YAY! I'm so glad you are enjoying Africa, I'm enjoying Germany! I miss you, I miss everyone, I guess we are kind of in the same boat right now! I'm glad that you have the oppertunity to touch so many peoples lives, it probably so rewarding. Well, I know it is. Well, miss you lots, can't wait to here more about your CRAAAAZZY adventures. Much Love Darling Girl!
Terri Lynn
Hey Nadia,
I may just have to take you up on the "drugged and knocked out" strategy to get you home, I miss you! But it sounds like you're all having a great time, and from what I've been reading, its been quite a success, so I guess I could survive, it'd be a struggle, but I'd manage. ;) Anyway, great to hear about the Trombone! Music is one thing someone just can't live without. Anyway's I've been babbling much too long, I better get going. I'm counting the days untill you get back! (That is if you DO come back)
Best Wishes, Hugs and Kisses (Corny? I think not)
-Andy Seguire
Post a Comment
<< Home