NYFC Ghana 2006 Mission

17 people from Northumberland YFC, aged 8 to 40-something, ready to serve the people of Ghana, alongside YFC/West Africa! The in country portion of the mission will take place from July 3rd, 2006 through August 7th, 2006

Friday, July 07, 2006

Yay! We’re here!

Hello all! I’m sorry it took so long to post something to all of you trying to keep track of me… my journal has been getting more thoughts than most people.

I am so glad that we are here! I didn’t remember so much of what Africa REALLY is until I go here. These people are so amazing! They can work and work and work and work and work, and never seem to get tired! They are just outstanding. And all of the familiar sounds, smells and places are like walking down memory lane. As you may now, Auntie Esme is again our cook…. Thus, I will be losing ‘negative pounds’ while we’re here. I may need to wear ‘moo moo’ dresses when we get back J

The work on the worksite is insanely fun! Today we were mixing concrete *my favorite* and pouring it by the head pan into a case of stairs. Soooo fun… but tiring. I think that by the time we are done, I’m going to have oober muscles to go with my ‘negative pounds’.

Tomorrow we get to go to the cultural market… Yay!! There is sooo much awesome stuff! Drums, clothes, kente cloth, bracelets, bags, wood carvings, leather work, art, instruments of the weirdest kinds. Sooooo cool! Michelle, Rachel, Tyler, Andy, Shannon, Becky, and any other close friends I may have most regretfully forgotten…. You all need to tell me what you want… If you do not…. I’ll… I dunno. That was the emptiest threat I could come up with.

We have met the coolest guy in the whole wide world. His name is Patrick, and he is the director for Ghana Youth For Christ… he should be the next Ghanaian President. He has sooo many ideas that could improve the lives of everyone in his country, and he has a degree in Philosophy, and is looking to come to Canada to get his masters. Sooo awesome! And, of course, there is Emma. He is just as sweet as ever, and has the best smile of anyone I know. And Shannon… I think I found my beautiful African man that you told me to find. I’ll tell you more when I get home.

As you may have noticed, I most likely do not sound entirely like me. That would be because we pick up on the African’s correctness very quickly. They use EVERY word, and very few contractions. It is rather amusing to hear every body speak now.

All right, now I need to sign off. I think I’ve typed a whole page in the last few minutes. As a last note, Eleanor, could you please pray for Mikaela? She is having a hard time adjusting to the climate and food, and is rather stressed about it. So, she could use a lot of prayer right now. Thank you! And, Francis, Gary, Nicholas, and Linda… and Aunt Tracy, thank you for your notes, they all made me rather teary.

Talk soon!

~Nadia~

7 Comments:

At 12:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello Stogryn's! i see that you are all at work , i hope you guys meet some interesting people there
you guys are all awsome the whole team! you guys are great!

from L.W&A.H Colborne

 
At 4:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ohhhh exciting!!! You most certainly WILL have to tell me all about that and everything else when you get home!!
Get me something that makes you go "that is so Shannon!!" or.. something that makes you think of me! Or just a pretty bracelet. haha :D.
GAH I MISS YOU!!! I'm glad you're having so much fun!
LOVE AND HUGS!
~Shannon

 
At 6:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nadia!
You sound like your having quite a time there, I'll admit I'm quite jelous, anywho, I'm on the same page as Shannon about the gift, a pretty bracelet would also be quite satisfying. I can't wait untill you get back, I miss you! I'll be expecting you to use your narration skills to tell me all about it when you get home.
Lots of Love,
-Andy-

 
At 6:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, my darling, Nadia. I miss you so very much. I'm glad your experience has been fulfilling thus far, and we are all praying for you back home. You're in my thoughts constantly :) I watched you in Joseph today. Oh, and you can bring me back a beautiful African man :) O-or a bracelet. Whatever. Our house goes up for sale on Friday, God-willing it will sell soon.
Give everyone a hug for me, and keep safe, healthy and happy.
All my love and prayers,
~Michelle

 
At 1:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey nadia! it's robin! i heard u were in africa from shannon and andy which totally caught me off guard! and i'm glad to hear you're having a blast! what an experience! Hope to see you before you go off to University!! XOXOX byee
Rockin Robin

 
At 2:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Stogrynses!!

I wish I could be there with you! *whines a little* But I'm glad you're having a good time and getting a lot done. Nad...um..I'm not sure what I'd like, bring me a lizard:D...NO NO NO!!! I WANT A GIRAFFE!! A REAL ONE!!...Please:S?

hahah love you all!

*Little*

 
At 8:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Nadiabobadia bananafanafofadiamimymomadia NADIA!


How are you? I miss you! I am glad to hear you are having fun! But don't have too much fun.... we want you to come home. I am so excited for you! Keep working hard. And I know forsure that there wont be any "negative pounds" just very defined muscles! I want a pail of concrete. You'll have to tell us all about it in detail when you return!


see ya soon! (gives Nadia a BIG hug)

Love Allie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home