From Sarah July 10th entry
Hi – it’s Sarah here (Sarahthedoula for those of you who’ve linked here from my blog).
I think the nutshell version of the mission is “so far so good”. There are the usual stomach rumblings, little rashes, bug bites, sunburns, and achy muscles, but nothing extraordinary. And of course some people are just plain tired, and sometimes overwhelmed by the enormity of the experience.
The adrenaline of getting here got me through the first week in one piece – by today I was feeling tired though. I got a bit too much sun on the construction site this morning so had a little nap this afternoon while most of the team went down to the ocean for a swim. I won’t forget the sunscreen again, no matter how cloudy it is when we go out in the morning!
I have been told that there is a small medical clinic in the village, run by a midwife, and that I have been invited to go down and “work with her”. Of course, clinic could mean anything from a mini-hospital to a palm-branch hut; midwife could mean anything from a local wise woman to an MD, and work with could be anything from “be present for the birth of a baby” to “help pass out band-aids”. I’m excited to be part of the experience, no matter what it is. I am trusting that God will grant me what I need to be there. I am excited to watch and learn and serve.
Oh – I was just told that a small bench has been found which I can clean up and put in my room so that I can get all our most commonly used first aid supplies organized beyond the giant Ziploc baggies lined up on my floor…. I just have to clean the mold off the bench first…. Good thing I brought Dettol! We do have beds, electricity (most of the time), and running water, but not much other furniture so I’ve been living out of my bags on the floor (of course we check for creepy crawlies before reaching into them!).
I just heard the oil start to sizzle in the kitchen which means supper will be in the next 20 minutes – I better wrap this up.
Thanks for praying, and sending good thoughts our way. There has been more than once already when we have known without a doubt that God is with us, and that your prayers are making a difference.
P.S. No time to really edit like I normally do so apologies for any odd or glaring errors, as well as any sentences that run-on or plain don’t make sense!
P.S.#2 Turns out the nickname for someone named Sarah in Ghana is “Seri” – I’ve never really had a short form of my name so that is kinda fun.


2 Comments:
Hi Sarah!
It is K/mm/doula to the West.
Finally got around to checking on your work! Glad you arrived safe and sound!
Hope the midwifery opportunities are delightful and provide joy in your mission!
Best to all of the group! I'm having fun reading the little triumphs and stumblings (power bars etc...).
K
Hi Sarah ... boy we miss you - but it reminds us to pray for you each day. We are hoping your experiences are ALL amazing! Love you dearly - take care. Suzanne
Post a Comment
<< Home