NYFC Ghana 2006 Mission

17 people from Northumberland YFC, aged 8 to 40-something, ready to serve the people of Ghana, alongside YFC/West Africa! The in country portion of the mission will take place from July 3rd, 2006 through August 7th, 2006

Thursday, July 06, 2006

FROM THE SITE....

NOTE>>> I mention multiple images but am having trouble getting more than one on a post, I'll try something different later.


July 6th, 2006

Some photos from the site will follow. We are in Kokrobite, a fishing village south west of Accra. This morning while working we could look out over the ocean and see the villagers in there 20ft long canoes setting their nets for the days catch. We can here the ocean all day long. As I write this, it is 9:45 local time and I can hear the sounds of the insects and creatures in the foliage - it has a similar quality to the crickets and peepers of home, yet different.

We are quite tired today - many did not get a good sleep last night. New location, the guards radio on too loud and then there was that darn water truck at about 5:00am which came to deliver our water for the day's work.

A number of the team went for a walk this afternoon. Diane comments that they met and saw kids playing the yards of the homes not finished, yet they were greeted still with big smiles and laughter...."Obruni, Obruni" they would call, for some the only white person ever seen.
Jason and Daryl spent much of the day, separately, being driven through Accra seeking supplies for the computer lab and for the hostel. We are the first people to stay in the facility and we are their test run. A challenge, but do-able. I'll let Jason write about his experience in the next post.

We have an internet connection available, but the usage is expensive. So - if family and friends want to write to team members, please write via <daryl@nyfc.org> However - PLEASE DO NOT EXPECT AN INSTANT RESPONSE. IT MAY BE DAYS - OR LONGER BEFORE YOU CAN GET A RESPONSE.

Please know - we are all well, but tired.

Tomorrow, Daryl and Jason have a formal meeting with the chief of the village. That is a
learning experience too!

Till next time - enjoy the pics. And share the blogsite!

Daryl.

PS - still no word on the luggage (a whole other adventure!...) We lost a bag of team supplies and the guitar. (Dave is in mourning....) but British Airways says it will come....mmm I believe them - it's a question of when? We are hopeful and prayerful however, and as Jason often says (I'm paraphrasin here) "All that was important arrived just fine!"















The big picture! Our task here is to fill in the blanks - literally - we are to set blocks in between the columns to form the walls of this dining hall and conference centre.

5 Comments:

At 11:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi team! I'm getting teary-eyed thinking about where you are; I'm that excited. I pray you recoup well and work effectively (and that the a.w.o.l. things come back).

Catch you later!

If you can, please post pictures of our Ghanaian friends. It would be nice to see them again.

 
At 11:43 PM, Blogger L.Bo Marie said...

long way from the walls that you helped to build... how exciting.. last I saw it was just a large concrete pad...
many prayers

 
At 11:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hooray, you've made it... God is good. Interesting that you didn't mention the temperature - must be okay?!
Lots of love across the "pond".

 
At 2:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to wish the team luck! The only person I know is Josh but I've prayed for you all anyways! Have fun, learns lots and umm ohhh play soccer!!!! yeah good luck with everything! Josh- see you when you get back bud...again its awsome what u and the rest of the team are doing :D

 
At 2:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I Pray that all get rested, that walls get built, that meetings go well. Be safe. Continue to be those Christ Lights that I know you have been equipped for.
Happy Anniversary Penny! I am so proud of you and Lawrence (and of course the whole team!)!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home